Interested in Becoming a Foster?
One of the most vital parts of our organization are our foster families. Because TXHR does not have a shelter facility, every animal that comes into our organization must have a foster home until it is adopted out. The more foster homes we have, the more deserving Huskies we can save.
It’s that simple. Think you could never foster? Think again and discover one of the most rewarding experiences you might ever be a part of. Becoming a foster allows you to experience the true joy of saving a life and meet some wonderful dogs, each with their own personality and traits.
- All potential fosters must have all of their pets spayed/neutered, be up to date on vetting, and pets are currently on heartworm preventative.
- Once your application is received, we will conduct a thorough screening process which includes a vet check of your current pets. If you rent a house or live in an apartment, we will verify huskies are accepted with the landlord/management company. Security deposits are the responsibility of the foster.
- After your vet check and screenings are completed successfully, TXHR will conduct a fence/home check. This is a check for gaps, broken slats, holes, compromised spots, etc where a husky could escape. Please do a walk of the perimeter of your fence and fix all problem spots before we come to your home. As a result of COVID-19 safety precautions, photo documentation is acceptable.
- You must have the necessary time to work with dogs to provide basic training and play time.
- You must have reliable transportation to get to necessary veterinary appointments and adoption events.
- Most importantly, patience. There is no set amount of time a foster dog will be at your home. We do not want to have to move the dogs from one foster home to another, as constant moving can really set back their rehabilitation. We expect our fosters to be patient and keep their foster dog until they get adopted.
- All fosters must enroll and complete "Bringing a New Dog Home" training at Maddie's University at this site before fostering: Foster Training
- Other helpful resource for fostering is available here.
If you have any more questions regarding fostering for TXHR, please feel free to send us an email.
Please don't delay! Huskies in need are waiting for you! To become a foster-care provider, please click here to complete an application
We wouldn’t be able to save as many Huskies as we have without our incredible fosters!